SAT results are received by colleges within 10 days of release by the College Board. Candidates can check respective SAT exam results at “studentscores.collegeboard.org/home” as per SAT results dates. SAT results for candidates appeared for exam on August 26, 2023 will be released on September 8, 2023. SAT exam results are released on a scale of 400-1600. The sectional score for Math and evidence-based reading and writing (EBRW) scales from 200-800. Highest SAT score required in top universities ranges from 1350 and above. SAT exam results are valid for five years. SAT digital test release date for exams commencing on May 9, 2024 is yet to be announced.
SAT Results Date
SAT results are announced by the CollegeBoard within ten days of appearing of SAT Exam. Candidates are advised to complete SAT Registration before the deadline in order to avoid any last-minute confusion. Students can check recently updated SAT exam dates and SAT results dates in below-mentioned table:
|SAT Test Dates||SAT Exam Results Release Dates|
|August 26, 2023||September 8, 2023|
|October 7, 2023||October 20, 2023|
|November 4, 2023||November 17, 2023|
|December 2, 2023||December 15, 2023|
SAT Digital Test Dates
SAT Digital will be administered on a computer starting in the spring of 2024 across the United States and in the spring of 2023 for international students. The test will still measure the same things and scored on a scale of 1600. SAT digital can be taken in schools or testing centers. However, the new digital test will be adaptable, cut from three to two hours, and students will be able to take it on their own laptops or tablets. SAT DIgital score release date is commencing from SAT March 9, 2024 are yet to be declared.
|Test Date||Est. Registration Deadline||Est. Online Score Release||Format|
|June 3, 2023||May 4, 2023||June 16, 2023||Paper|
|August 26, 2023||July 28, 2023||September 8, 2023||Paper|
|October 7, 2023||September 7, 2023||October 20, 2023||Paper|
|November 4, 2023||October 5, 2023||November 17, 2023||Paper|
|December 2, 2023||November 2, 2023||December 15, 2023||Paper|
|March 9, 2024||February 23, 2024||March 22 – March 29, 2024||Digital|
|May 4, 2024||April 19, 2024||May 17 – May 24, 2024||Digital|
|June 1, 2024||May 17, 2024||June 14 – June 21, 2024||Digital|
Note: The dates provided in these charts are based on information released by the College Board and previous SAT test dates. In some cases, the information provided has not yet been confirmed by the College Board. Visit www.collegeboard.org for the most up-to-date published information.
SAT Scores Calculation
The overall SAT scores report is the sum of two sections, namely- SAT Math Section and Evidence-Based Reading & Writing Sections. The SAT max score is 1600. The sectional score ranges from 200-800. The Subscores section comprises multiple points for the Reading, Writing and Language, and Math Sections. The subscore ranges from 1 to 15. The range for SAT essay scores are 2-8 points. This includes SAT Essay Writing and SAT Essay Analysis. We have prepared a list of SAT scoring scales. Below is the SAT score range table for detailed analysis.
|SAT Components||Description||SAT scoring scale|
|Total Score||The aggregate of the two section scores||400-1600|
|Section Scores||Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and Math Sections||200-800|
|Test Scores||Reading, Writing and Language, and Math Sections.||10-40|
|SAT Essay Scores||Reading, Analysis, and Writing.||2-8|
|Cross Test||These scores show how well you use your skills to analyze texts and solve problems in these subject areas.||10-40|
|SAT Sub Scores||Reading and Writing and Language: Command of Evidence and Words in Context. Writing and Language: Expression of Ideas and Standard English Conventions. Math: Heart of Algebra, Problem Solving and Data Analysis, and Passport to Advanced Math.||1-1|
SAT Exam Score Range and Percentile
SAT Exam score range and score percentiles will give candidates an idea of their position with respect to the rest of the people who attempted the SAT. The SAT test results depend on percentile and not on highest SAT score or SAT max score. For example, if someone has an SAT full scores percentile of 80%, then they have scored better than 80% of the test takers. Students can consider this a good SAT scores.
The SAT scoring scale is categorized into:
- Nationally Representative Sample Percentiles: This is a research study of all the US students in grades 11 and 12 which also includes the ones who didn’t take the SAT;
- SAT User Percentiles: Research based on the last three year’s sat raw score of graduating students who took the SAT while pursuing their high school.
The table below shows a detailed breakdown of the SAT score chart of percentiles. The SAT exam highest score percentile usually belong to the IVY league SAT score colleges:
|SAT Exam score range (Out of 1600)||SAT Percentile|
SAT Score Calculator
Students must be aware of how the SAT scores are calculated. SAT math score and SAT EBRW contribute toward the SAT total score. SAT raw scores are equal to the number of correct answers given by the candidates. There is no specific SAT passing score for the candidates in the SAT Exam. The cut off SAT scores varies from college to college. To get selected in the college of their choice, the candidates must score the SAT cutoff required in their selected colleges. Candidates should remember that:
- Sat Score Range: The SAT full scores vary from 800 to 1600.The average SAT score is 1051.
- Percentile Ranking: The 90 percentile means that the candidate performed 90% better than the rest of the contenders.
- Better Chance of Admission: The higher the SAT results, the better chances of getting into a reputable institution or university.
The SAT raw score calculations are stated here under:
|Section||Number of Questions||SAT Raw Score|
The SAT scoring scale has no negative marking and each question carries one point. To calculate SAT score, the obtained SAT math raw score is directly converted on a scale of 200-800 to obtain SAT math score. The obtained SAT total Marks for Reading and Writing are separately converted on a scale of 10-40. The sum of these two SAT score scales is multiplied by 10 to obtain SAT evidence-based reading and writing. .
SAT Score Report
Candidates can receive their official SAT score report by logging in to the official website. To understand the SAT result in a detailed manner, let us view how SAT grading scale in the SAT score report:
- There are two cross-test scores calculated out of 40 points. The candidate is tested based on their knowledge of history/social studies. The questions are present in both EBRW and Math sections.
- The subscores in the SAT score report give an idea about the different skill sets of the candidates. In the Math section, subscores measure algebra, problem-solving, data analysis, and passport to advanced math. In EBRW, subscores measure the Expression of Ideas, Standard English Conventions, Words in Context, and Command of Evidence.
The SAT scores are calculated following strict measures.
- Protected Delivery: The answer sheet is kept under constant security till it is delivered to the processing center
- Scanning: The answer sheet is thoroughly scanned, and the SAT Results are analyzed by the system. The system selects the circled answers and calculates the raw scores. SAT doesn’t have any penalty, therefore, the SAT total marks of the raw score is the actual number of accurate answers.
- Marking Accuracy: The answer sheets are checked by double scanning and also alignment checks. To be very accurate ensure that you use a No. 2 pencil and an eraser, the circle is to be darkened completely, in case of changing the response completely clear the answer
Sending SAT Scores to Institutes
Candidates may have selected universities or scholarship programs to receive the results when they registered for the SAT. They can send the SAT test results to other institutions as soon as it is ready. The College Board must provide an official SAT score report to the most universities. The contact details via which candidates can send the reports are:
- Online: Candidates can access your SAT scores by accessing the College Board SAT scores section
- Mail: Fill out the ‘Additional Score Report Order Form’ and mail it
- Phone: Call Customer Service at 866-756-7346 (toll-free) or 212-713-7789 (international)
There are three methods to request and send the SAT scores to colleges and universities:
|Schedule SAT results time at registration||From the time a candidate registers until nine days after the SAT test date, candidates can access four score reports.||No fees|
|Additional SAT exam results request||SAT Score reports that are excess of the first four or out of the nine day timeframe||USD 14 (INR 1,158)|
|SAT Rush Order||Colleges will get results within 2-4 business days||USD 31 (INR 2,564)+ Regular Fees|
The SAT overall score is called SAT Superscore. Sending a Superscore to a college refers to the college that would accept the highest SAT score out of all your SAT exams. A good SAT Total Score can help students get a SAT scholarship.
SAT Score Reporting
There are a few scenarios that candidates must consider while SAT Score reporting:
- Few colleges or universities require all SAT scores. In that case, candidates can choose to send their scores while SAT registration. This will help to send the SAT scores without paying the additional fee.
- Some colleges accept Superscore. Apart from the 4 free scorecards, sending SAT scores to other colleges costs $12. So, candidates willing to send their Superscore can pay this fee so that the college receives the best scores.
Here are the types of SAT scores given below:
- Archived scores: These can be sent after 1 year of attempting SAT. Candidates have to pay an extra $31 for an additional report card.
- Old Scores: Scores to be sent after five years of attempting SAT
- Rush Reporting: Score report to be sent to colleges within 2-4 business days.
The SAT scores have to be canceled quickly in case the candidate wants to do that. Once the request to cancel your SAT scores has been submitted, the scores will not be delivered to the universities. SAT score cancellation has two ways:
At the SAT-test center
- Ask the test coordinator to cancel the test scores;
- You will be asked to fill out a form;
- Return the form to the coordinator before leaving
After leaving the test center
- The signed form must be delivered to the test center within 11.59 p.m. ET on the upcoming Thursday after the test date
The ‘SAT request to Cancel Scores’ form has to be downloaded and printed or you can also write your own by infusing the following details:
- Test date
- Test center number
- Name of test you are canceling—either the SAT or SAT Subject Test(s)
- Name, address, gender, birth date, and registration number
- Signature is required without which the cancellation will not be processed.
Send the form to:
SAT Score Cancellation
P.O. Box 6228
Princeton, NJ 08541-6228
Students can check respective Scholastic Aptitude Test results by visiting the official website of the College Board. They have to log in with their student ID and password for SAT
Both ACT and SAT scores are acceptable for admission to top colleges. Candidates can check the SAT Vs ACT to decide which test to appear for.
Let us see the SAT scores for colleges and universities:
|College/Universities||Country||SAT Range||ACT Range|
|Brown University||USA||1420 – 1580||31 – 34|
|California Institute Of Technology (Caltech)||USA||1540 – 1600||34 – 36|
|Carnegie Mellon University||USA||1430 – 1560||31 – 34|
|Columbia University||USA||1460 – 1590||32 – 35|
|Cornell University||USA||1390 – 1550||31 – 34|
|Duke University||USA||1430 – 1580||31 – 34|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||USA||1380 – 1580||30 – 34|
|Harvard University||USA||1480 – 1600||32 – 35|
|John Hopkins University||USA||1450 – 1580||32 – 34|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||USA||1500 – 1590||33 – 35|
|Nanyang Technological University (NTU)||Singapore||1250 -1400||30 – 32|
|National University Of Singapore||Singapore||1250 – 1520||29 – 34|
|New York University (NYU)||USA||1310 – 1510||29 – 33|
|Northwestern University||USA||1450 – 1570||32 – 34|
|Pennsylvania State University (Penn State)||USA||1160 – 1360||25- 29|
|Princeton University||USA||1450 – 1590||32 – 35|
|Purdue University||USA||1140 – 1380||25 – 31|
|Stanford University||USA||1430 – 1590||31 – 35|
|Texas A & M University||USA||1140 – 1370||24 – 30|
|University of California, Berkeley (UCB)||USA||1330 – 1560||31 – 34|
|University Of California, Davis||USA||1130 – 1390||25 – 31|
|University Of California, Los Angeles (LA)||USA||1230 – 1510||28 – 33|
|University Of California, San Diego (UCSD)||USA||1240 – 1490||27 – 33|
|University Of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)||USA||1190 – 1440||27 – 32|
|University Of Chicago||USA||1490 – 1600||32 – 35|
|University Of Illinois at Urbana Champaign||USA||1340 – 1510||26 – 32|
|University Of Pennsylvania||USA||1430 – 1580||32 – 35|
|University Of Texas at Austin||USA||1210 – 1460||26 – 32|
|University Of Wisconsin-Madison||USA||1270 – 1470||27 – 31|
|Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University||USA||1170 – 1380||24 – 30|
|Yale University||USA||1470 – 1600||32 – 35|
The above details will provide a better understanding of the SAT scores to the candidates. Scores and results of new SAT digital exam are released within 13-14 days from the commencement. Students can report for any problems regarding scores after release of SAT results.