|Phrase Replacement : Phrase Replacement Questions are usually asked in all competitive exams like SSC, SBI, IBPS, RBI, LIC, RRB, AAI, DRDO, ISRO, NTR, FSSAI, CWC, LIC, SSC CGL, and other state government exams.
On this page, we are providing all varieties of Phrase Replacement Questions along with previous year Phrase Replacement Questions.
Phrase Replacement is a very important topic of Verbal section. Phrase Replacement are very easy to solve if one has good practice over it.
We have also provided all different varieties of Phrase Replacement Questions.
Directions:(1-5) In each of the questions, given below a phrase/idiom is given in bold which is then followed by five options which try to decipher its meaning as used in the sentence. Choose the option which gives the meaning of the phrase/idiom most appropriately in the context of the given sentence.
1. I need to brush up on my English skills, so I’m going to Vancouver to study English.
2. As I opened up the computer to try and fix the problem, I realized that I was getting into completely uncharted waters and decided to leave it to the experts.
3. The political candidate knew the issue was a hot potato, so he deferred to his chief of staff, who directed questions to the committee chairperson.
4. Poor people easily become a cat’s paw in the hands of the politicians.
5. Well, that’s a fine kettle of fish. I thought I paid the credit card bill, but it turns out that I missed the due date by a week.
Directions:(6-10) In the following questions, a sentence is given with an idiom/ phrase given in bold which may or may not be correct. Choose the most suitable alternative among the four that may replace the incorrect idiom in the sentence. If the given idiom is correct, then choose option (E) i.e. “no replacement required” as your answer choice.
6. Chotu, an office boy, was dismissed from the employment as the senior management received complaints against him about eating a humble pie in the office.
7. Though, last year barking is worse than bite at the National Games , Suresh continued his perspiration in the training camp for wrestling and finally made the golden knock, winning the Gold Medal at the Asian Games.
8. Fearing ill at ease, the new office boy in the company greets everyone in the morning, noon and at evening.
9. Receiving the news of the death of his girlfriend on a call has made Tanmay to start beating about the bush.
10. Kumar Vishwash appeared like weal and woe in Indian Politics when he contested elections against Rahul Gandhi in Amethi in 2014.