1. Eileen is planning a special birthday dinner for her husband’s 35th birthday. She wants the evening to be memorable, but her husband is a simple man who would rather be in jeans at a baseball game than in a suit at a fancy restaurant. Which restaurant below should Eileen choose?
2. The film director wants an actress for the lead role of Lucy who perfectly fits the description that appears in the original screenplay. He is not willing to consider actresses who do not resemble the character as she is described in the screenplay, no matter how talented they are. The screenplay describes Lucy as an average-sized, forty something redhead, with deep brown eyes, very fair skin, and a brilliant smile. The casting agent has four actresses in mind.
Actress #1 : is a stunning red-haired beauty who is 5’9″ and in her mid-twenties. Her eyes are brown and she has an olive complexion.
Actress #2 : has red hair, big brown eyes, and a fair complexion. She is in her mid-forties and is 5’5″.
Actress #3 : is 5’4″ and of medium build. She has red hair, brown eyes, and is in her early forties.
Actress #4 : is a blue-eyed redhead in her early thirties. She’s of very slight build and stands at 5′.
3. The school principal has received complaints from parents about bullying in the school yard during recess. He wants to investigate and end this situation as soon as possible, so he has asked the recess aides to watch closely. Which situation should the recess aides report to the principal?
4. Mrs. Carson took a taxi to meet her three friends for lunch. They were waiting for her outside the restaurant when she pulled up in the car. She was so excited to see her friends that she left her tote bag in the taxi. As the taxi pulled away, she and her friends took notice of the license plate number so they would be able to identify the car when they called the taxi company.
#1 : The four women seem to agree that the plate starts out with the letter J.
#2 : Three of them agree that the plate ends with 12L.
#3 : Three of them think that the second letter is X, and a different three think that the third letter is K.
The four license plate numbers below represent what each of the four women thinks she saw. Which one is most likely the license plate number of the taxi?
5. Zachary has invited his three buddies over to watch the basketball game on his wide-screen television. They are all hungry, but no one wants to leave to get food. Just as they are arguing about who should make the food run, a commercial comes on for a local pizze-ria that delivers. The phone number flashes on the screen briefly and they all try to remember it. By the time Zachary grabs a pen and paper, each of them recollects a different number.
#1 : All of the men agree that the first three numbers are 995.
#2 : Three of them agree that the fourth number is 9.
#3 : Three agree that the fifth number is 2.
#4 : Three agree that the sixth number is 6; three others agree that the seventh number is also 6.
Which of the numbers is most likely the telephone number of the pizzeria?
6. Mark is working with a realtor to find a location for the toy store he plans to open in his town. He is looking for a place that is either in, or not too far from, the center of town and one that would attract the right kind of foot traffic. Which of the following locations should Mark’s realtor call to his attention?
7.The neighborhood block association has received many complaints about people knocking on doors and soliciting money for an unknown charity organization even though door-to-door solicitation is prohibited by local laws. Three residents have provided descriptions of individuals who have come to their door asking for money.
Solicitor #1 : is a white male, 20-25 years old, 5’9″, 145 pounds, with very short brown hair. He was wearing a dark blue suit and carrying a brown leather briefcase.
Solicitor #2 : is a white male, 25-30 years old, 6’2″, 200 pounds, with a shaved-head. He was wearing a red T-shirt and jeans.
Solicitor #3 : is a white male, approximately 23 years old, 5’10”, slight build, with short brown hair. He was wearing a blue suit.
Three days after the block association meeting, a resident noticed a man knocking on doors in the neighborhood and phoned the police to report the illegal activity. This solicitor was described as follows:
Solicitor #4 : is a white male, 22 years old, 140 pounds, about 5’10”, with short brown hair. He was carrying a briefcase and wearing a dark suit.
Based on this description, which of the three solicitations was also likely carried out by Solicitor #4?
8. Rita, an accomplished pastry chef who is well known for her artistic and exquisite wedding cakes, opened a bakery one year ago and is surprised that business has been so slow. A consultant she hired to conduct market research has reported that the local population doesn’t think of her shop as one they would visit on a daily basis but rather a place they’d visit if they were celebrating a special occasion. Which of the following strategies should Rita employ to increase her daily business?
9. Dr. Miller has a busy pediatric dentistry practice and she needs a skilled, reliable hygienist to keep things running smoothly. The last two people she hired were recommended by top dentists in the area, but they each lasted less than one month. She is now in desperate need of a hygienist who can competently handle the specific challenges of her practice. Which one of the following candidates should Dr. Miller consider most seriously?
10. Mrs. Jansen recently moved to Arizona. She wants to fill her new backyard with flowering plants. Although she is an experienced gardener, she isn’t very well-versed in what plants will do well in the Arizona climate. Also, there is a big tree in her backyard making for shady conditions and she isn’t sure what plants will thrive without much direct sunlight. Her favorite gardening catalog offers several backyard seed packages. Which one should Mrs. Jansen choose?